- (verb) fall suddenly, clumsily, or headlong. “she pitched forward, tumbling down the remaining stairs”
- (verb) move or rush in a headlong or uncontrolled way. “police and dogs tumbled from the vehicle”
- (verb) fall rapidly in amount or value. “property prices tumbled”
- (verb) rumple; disarrange. “he slept fitfully for the third night in a row, tumbling the covers about him as he tried to get comfortable”
- (verb) perform acrobatic feats, typically handsprings and somersaults in the air
- (noun) dry (washing) in a tumble dryer. “the machine gentle tumbles the clothes in cool air for ten minutes”
- (noun) understand the meaning or hidden implication of (a situation). “she’ll ring again as soon as she tumbles to what she’s done”
- (noun) have sexual intercourse with. “he was tumbling a strange woman”
- (noun) clean (castings, gemstones, etc.) in a tumbling barrel.
- (noun) a sudden or headlong fall. “I took a tumble in the nettles”
- (noun) a rapid fall in amount or value. “a tumble in share prices”
- (noun) an untidy or confused arrangement or state. “her hair was a tumble of untamed curls”
- (noun) a handspring, somersault in the air, or other acrobatic feat.
- (noun) an act of sexual intercourse.
- (noun) a friendly sign of recognition, acknowledgement, or interest. “not a soul gave him a tumble”
Tumble meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- बार बार लुढकना, समझ में आना, भाव गिरना, गिरावट, यहाँ वहाँ, अचानक गिरना, कलाबाजी खाना, कलैया मारना, अस्त व्यस्त की स्थिति, गिर जाना, गिर पड़ना, मूल्य गिरना, गिरना
- Middle English (as a verb, also in the sense ‘dance with contortions’): from Middle Low German tummelen ; compare with Old English tumbian ‘to dance’. The sense was probably influenced by Old French tomber ‘to fall’. The noun, first in the sense ‘tangled mass’, dates from the mid 17th century.
Tumble in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Xiaomi plans $1.5 bn buyback to arrest stock tumble, shares rise 7%, Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi Corp announced a HK$12 billion ($1.53 billion) share buyback plan on Tuesday, in a reversal of its …
- Indian state bank shares tumble on megamerger plan, Shares in major Indian state banks tumbled on Tuesday as investors got their first chance to react to a government plan to consolidate the …
- Indian markets tumble 1% on weakening yuan, trade war, Mumbai: Indian benchmark indices shed more than 1% on Monday as adverse local and global factors—including the scrapping of the special …
- Bank mergers fail to cheer Sensex, rupee as both tumble in early trade … It is to be noted that this is the first day of markets in India after the …
- Live Cricket Score – West Indies vs India, Day 4, 2nd Test, Jamaica, India made a rollicking start to their Test championship campaign, bulldozing West Indies across the two-Test series and … West Indies tumble!
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Tumble
- tumble sounds like temple and lord Ram’s temple was destroyed in Ayodhya, so tumble means fall
- a humble man tumbled down the stairs at the party