- (verb) (of a problem or illness) cause pain or trouble to; affect adversely. “his younger child was afflicted with a skin disease”
- (verb) (of a celestial body) be in a stressful aspect with (another celestial body or a point on the ecliptic).“Jupiter is afflicted by Mars in opposition”
Afflict meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- दुःखी होना, पीड़ित होना, पीड़ा देना, खिजाना, सताना, आक्रान्त करना, कष्ट पहुँचाना, दुःख देना, पीड़ित करना, कष्ट देना, विपदा में डालना
- late Middle English (in the sense ‘deject, humiliate’): from Latin afflictare ‘knock about, harass’, or from afflict- ‘knocked down, weakened’: both from the verb affligere, from ad- ‘to’ + fligere ‘to strike, dash’.
Afflict in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Billing Problems Continue to Afflict Customers of UK ISP Plusnet
- Not just a Japanese disease: Mizuho’s woes afflict the world
- Earlier, it was perceived that chronic ailments like diabetes, hypertension, coronary heart disease and cancer afflict the affluent class of older …
- Forced evictions, discrimination continue to afflict Bulgaria’s Roma …
- Life in a Kenyan rubbish dump: Illness, poverty afflict community
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Afflict
- sounds like infection, which causes a state of distress, irritation and suffering
- it can be a combination of two words..affection and conflict….so when there is a conflict in affection its a cause of great distress and suffering.