- (adj) unnecessary, especially through being more than enough; “the purchaser should avoid asking for superfluous information”
Superfluous (सुपर्फ्लूअस / सूपर्फ्ल्वस) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- अतिरिक्त, अनावश्यक, निरर्थक, फ़ालतू, ज़रूरत से ज़्यादा, अति अधिक
- late Middle English: from Latin superfluus, from super- ‘over’ + fluere ‘to flow’.
Superfluous in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper editorial)
- The ‘superfluous‘ branches would be merged with the nearest SBI branch.
- Had James Milner converted his penalty and Liverpool held off Southampton for all three points, all talk of style would be superfluous.
- It is therefore superfluous to equate Hindutva with singing Vande Mataram, teaching yoga or doing surya namaskar.
- A pod hotel tends to strip a hotel room of all the superfluous facilities and compresses it down to space for a single person’s use.
- The Kolkata Knight Riders suffered a minor setback in their last game when they were blown away by David Warner’s superfluous 126.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of superfluous
- super = over… fluous = flow… overflow
- (adj) tending or able to change frequently or easily; “it is difficult to comprehend the whole of this protean subject”
- (adj) able to do many different things; versatile; “Ashwin is a remarkably protean bowler”
Protean (प्रोटीअन) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- बहुरूपिया, बहुमुखी,परिवर्तनशील
- late 16th century: from Proteus + -an.
Protean in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Markets tend to exhibit their most protean behaviour prior to a landmark event; the budget being no exception.
- Responding to a mammoth first innings score by South Africa, Sehwag plundered the Protean bowling on a placid Chennai pitch.
- Shiamak Unwalla lists eight interesting things about the Protean.
- Suchindranath Aiyer Protean, polyglot, polymath, healer, global human, Brahmin.
- The top order used the right mix of caution and aggression and milked the Protean attack throughout their innings to post a big total.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of protean
- protein khao aur protean body banao
- (noun) a fictitious name, especially one used by an author; “Hanbury wrote a novel under the pseudonym of James Aston”
Pseudonym meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Meaning)
- mid 19th century: from French pseudonyme, from Greek pseudōnymos, from pseudēs ‘false’ + onoma ‘name’.
Pseudonym in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- I had written a Faking News Post under a pseudonym against the rampant sexism at an age-old hostel tradition.
- Her lawsuit, filed under the pseudonym Jane Roe, resulted in the court’s 1973 decision that established a woman’s right to an abortion.
- But that is not why some women authors wrote under male pseudonyms.
- 3 Lewis Carroll was the pseudonym adopted by Charles Lutwidge Dodgson.
- US President Barack Obama reportedly used a pseudonym in some of the e-mails he exchanged with Hillary Clinton.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of pseudonym
- (adj) vivacious and enthusiastic; “effervescent young people”
- (adj) (of a liquid) giving off bubbles; fizzy; “an effervescent mixture of cheap wine, fruit flavours, sugar, and carbon dioxide”
Effervescent (एफर्वेसन्ट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- उत्तेजित, उत्साहपूर्ण, प्रबुदबुद, चमकता हुआ, उत्साही व अति अनुरागी
- late 17th century: from Latin effervescent- ‘boiling up’, from the verb effervescere.
Effervescent in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- The young and effervescent Alia.
- It might be her best work so far – audacious, effervescent and all the while, completely unaffected.
- The effervescent actress, who made her debut in 2011 in ‘Ladies Vs Ricky Bahl’, elaborated that she has always maintained a low profile.
- Donning a musical avatar in Rock On 2, actress Shraddha Kapoor is as effervescent in person as she is on screen.
- Mom-to-be Kareena Kapoor wore a red gown. the actor was as effervescent as always.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of effervescent
- effective scent lagaoge toh ladkiyon uchalengi… (Your scent can make girls effervescent)