- (verb) hurl missiles repeatedly at; “two boys pelted him with rotten apples”
- (verb) hurl (something) at someone or something; “she spotted four boys pelting stones at ducks”
- (of rain, hail, or snow) fall quickly and very heavily; “the rain was pelting down”
- (informal) run somewhere very quickly; “I pelted across the road”
- (Phrases) full pelt — as fast as possible; “I ran downstairs at full pelt”
- (noun) the skin of an animal with the fur, wool, or hair still on it; “traders brought reindeer pelts”
- (Phrases) in one’s pelt — naked.“they came across Henn, standing in his pelt by the river”
Pelt (पेलत / पलट / पेल्ट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- झपटना, झोंकना, डालना, पीटना, फेंकना, मारना, फेंक कर मारना, ताबड़तोड़ भागना, मूसलाधार होना, तेज़ी से आगे बढ़ना, खाल, चमड़ा, चोट, मार, कच्चा चमड़ा, ताबड़तोड़ भागना, मूसलाधार होना, कूड़ा-कर्कट, फेंकने का कार्य
- Middle English: either from obsolete pellet ‘skin’, from an Old French diminutive of pel ‘skin’, from Latin pellis ‘skin’, or a back-formation from peltry.
Pelt in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Miscreants pelt stones on new Train 18 during trial run.
- Hailstorm, rain pelt down on rabi crops.
- New Zealand canoe hire shop housed Tassie tiger pelt worth $250000.
- Storms pelt Shaver Lake with snow and rain mix.
- An animal’s pelt can be affected by a number of environmental factors.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of pelt
- (noun) habitual greed or excess in eating; “she said plumpness was a sign of gluttony in most cases”
Gluttony (ग्लटनी) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- Middle English: from Old French glutonie, from gluton ‘glutton’.
Gluttony in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Pope says forget greed and gluttony at Christmas, go for simple love.
- Muskoka fitness trainer gives top 10 ways to combat holiday gluttony.
- After the holiday gluttony, many people are trying to get back on track when it comes to fitness and wellness.
- Eating right: Holidays don’t have to be the ‘season of gluttony‘.
- Gluttony really could turn you into a fathead.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of gluttony
- Gluttony = glued to ‘ton’ of weight – ‘petupan’
- (verb) get or bring (something) back from somewhere; “I was sent to retrieve the balls from his garden”
- (verb) (of a dog) find and bring back (game that has been shot); “labradors are used to retrieve the birds after the flush”
- (verb) reel or bring in a fishing line; “when he reaches the breakers, with you retrieving furiously, he’ll probably change course”
- (verb) find or extract (information stored in a computer); “other features include the ability to store, update, retrieve, and print your data”
- (verb) recall (something); “the police hope to encourage him to retrieve forgotten memories”
- (verb) put right or improve (an unwelcome situation); “he made one last desperate attempt to retrieve the situation”
- (noun) an act of retrieving something, especially game that has been shot; “watch the dog make the long retrieves”
- (noun) the possibility of recovery; “he ruined himself beyond retrieve”
Retrieve (रिट्रीव / रीट्रीव) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- वापस पा लेना, बचाना, सुधारना, पता लगाना, लौटा देना
- late Middle English (in the sense ‘find lost game’): from Old French retroeve-, stressed stem of retrover ‘find again’.
Retrieve in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper editorial)
- Update: Woman injured in April accident to retrieve dog has died.
- Everest rescuers retrieve bodies of two Indian climbers.
- Mount Everest rescue team attempts to retrieve body of climber.
- Man who drowned trying to retrieve purse in Lady Bird Lake identified.
- Search suspended for man who jumped off boat to retrieve hat.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of retrieve
- Labrador Retriever Yaad rakho…. ball feko leke (retrieve) aayega
- (adj) having or revealing a tendency to be easily shocked by matters relating to sex or nudity; excessively concerned with sexual propriety; “his grandmother was a rather prudish woman”
Prudish (प्रूडिश) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- कपटलज्जालु, पाखंडी, पाखण्डी
Prudish in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Fair, and I am not being prudish. After all, kiss is an expression of love.
- No sex, please: Sandeep Kumar pays the price of prudish politics.
- Of sex and other mundane things: Are Indians still prudish?
- Then there was my mother, brought up by prudish German nuns.
- At the risk of sounding prudish, let me also state another problem I had with the film’s depiction of nudity, sex and the so-called erotica.