- (noun) an earnest or humble request; “he ignored her entreaties”
Entreaty (एन्ट्रीटी) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- अनुनय-विनय, निवेदन, प्रार्थना, विनती, विनय, इसरार, फ़रियाद, मिन्नत
- late Middle English (in the sense ‘treatment, management’; formerly also as intreaty ): from entreat, on the pattern of treaty.
Entreaty in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Trump must not go wobbly and consent to this fake entreaty.
- Supplication is an earnest request or humble entreaty.
- Michael B. Curry reminded us of Martin Luther King’s entreaty at last week’s royal wedding.
- Then, he sealed the deal with this entreaty to the Governor.
- In 1866, West Virginia refused Virginia’s entreaty to do so.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of entreaty
- entreaty – bhaiya stag entry de do.. no gf 🙁
- (noun) a man who is rough or clumsy and unintelligent; “they are just big, clumsy oafs”
Oaf (ओफ) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- उल्लू, गंवार, मूर्ख, जारज संतान, बेवकूफ़ आदमी, गोबर-गणेश
- early 17th century: variant of obsolete auf, from Old Norse álfr ‘elf’. The original meaning was ‘elf’s child, changeling’, later ‘idiot child’ and ‘halfwit’, generalized in the current sense.
Oaf in a sentence
- Since the oaf never performed very well in school, he became lazy by living for years in his parent’s basement never being able to gain employment.
- With the oaf’s foolish answer in class, everyone rolled their eyes and ignored any future answers he would say
- While attempting to rob the bank, the oaf accidentally wrote his name on the slip he gave the bank teller demanding money.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of reverberate
- Loafer mein chhupa hai oaf
- (noun) review of a past course of events or period of time; “a full retrospect of the battle”
Retrospect (ट्रस्पेक्ट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- early 17th century: from retro- ‘back’, on the pattern of the noun prospect.
Retrospect in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- If the dream was to become reality, this was the time to do something about it,” he writes in retrospect.
- In retrospect, Kriti Sanon believes that she does not belong to Bollywood.
- As I was saying, it is too late to think in retrospect when, and if, no serious thought was given when the regime was in the Bill stage.
- In retrospect, it would have been ideal if Ravi Shastri had continued as coach and not been replaced a year ago by Kumble.
- Hitesh considers this good thing, in retrospect, as it offered him a chance to explain something to new to others.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Retrospect
- (adj) unnecessary, especially through being more than enough; “the purchaser should avoid asking for superfluous information”
Superfluous (सुपर्फ्लूअस / सूपर्फ्ल्वस) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- अतिरिक्त, अनावश्यक, निरर्थक, फ़ालतू, ज़रूरत से ज़्यादा, अति अधिक
- late Middle English: from Latin superfluus, from super- ‘over’ + fluere ‘to flow’.
Superfluous in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper editorial)
- The ‘superfluous‘ branches would be merged with the nearest SBI branch.
- Had James Milner converted his penalty and Liverpool held off Southampton for all three points, all talk of style would be superfluous.
- It is therefore superfluous to equate Hindutva with singing Vande Mataram, teaching yoga or doing surya namaskar.
- A pod hotel tends to strip a hotel room of all the superfluous facilities and compresses it down to space for a single person’s use.
- The Kolkata Knight Riders suffered a minor setback in their last game when they were blown away by David Warner’s superfluous 126.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of superfluous
- super = over… fluous = flow… overflow
- (verb) split apart; “a universe sundered ages ago in a divine war”
Sunder (सन्डर) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- तोड़ना, पृथक करना, अलग करना, टुकड़े में करना
- late Old English sundrian ; related to German sondern.
Sunder in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper editorial)
- The gangsters sunder themselves from the group.
- It is very difficult to sunder iron from the mixture of iron and sulphur.
- He hated her and was forever sundered from her.
- Then, I tell you, we saw horses and men sunder their loves.
- They clasped and sundered, did the coupler’s will.
Mnemonic trick to sunder the meaning of sunder
- sunder ladki se alag (sunder) hona mushkil hai