- (verb) say something in answer to a remark, typically in a sharp, angry, or witty manner; “‘No need to be rude,’ retorted Isabel”
- (noun) a sharp, angry, or witty reply; “she opened her mouth to make a suitably cutting retort”
- (noun) a container or furnace for carrying out a chemical process on a large or industrial scale; “a laboratory full of bubbling retorts and crackling electrical equipment”
Retort meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Meaning)
- मुंहतोड़ जवाब, कड़ा उत्तर देना
- late 15th century (in the sense ‘hurl back an accusation or insult’): from Latin retort- ‘twisted back, cast back’, from the verb retorquere, from re- ‘in return’ + torquere ‘to twist’.
Retort in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu editorial newspaper)
- Nani’s Retort to a crazy fan is going viral.
- Asked an emotional Mamata Banerjee in her retort to a BJP leader’s comments in which he called the West Bengal chief minister a ‘hijra’.
- People of Kashmir retort, is the Supreme Court oblivious of the fact that Kashmir was peaceful from October 2016 to April 2017!
- Some males bring nesting material, while others weave thin threads into retort-shaped structures.
- In retort, Sooraj said he was a member of the mess and had every right to be there, and allegedly added that he would eat beef inside the mess.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of retort
- resort mein retort mat karna… bhaga denge
- (verb) destroy or injure severely; “many of the bodies had been mutilated”
- (verb) alter so as to make unrecognizable; “the 14th-century carved screen had been mutilated”
Mutilate meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- बुरी तरह नष्ट कर देना, काटना, छांटना, अंग भंग करना
- early 16th century: from Latin mutilat- ‘maimed, mutilated, lopped off’, from the verb mutilare, from mutilus ‘maimed’.
Mutilate in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Chimps Kill, Mutilate and Cannibalize Member of Own Group.
- Woman who threatened to mutilate and kill horses jailed.
- Poachers poison, mutilate lions in South Africa.
- UNICEF decries high rate of female genital mutilation in the country.
- Pakistani troops kill 3 Indian soldiers, mutilate one at LoC.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of mutilate
- mutilate = “ate”, if I ate your arm, I mutilate you
- (noun) a feeling of anxiety or dismay, typically at something unexpected; “to her consternation her car wouldn’t start”
Consternation (कान्स्टर्नेशन / कान्स्टर्नैशन) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- early 17th century: from Latin consternatio(n- ), from the verb consternare ‘lay prostrate, terrify.
Consternation in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Consternation over Bhopal encounter.
- Trump’s campaign rhetoric caused consternation in many world capitals, including Tokyo.
- Trump caused consternation in December 2015 by mooting a ban on all Muslims travelling to the United States.
- There seems to be consternation within the Congress on the proposed Grand Alliance in Uttar Pradesh on the lines of Bihar.
- School Burnings Cause Consternation in Indian Kashmir.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of consternation
- conster (~monster) + nation, monster in your nation will cause consternation
invigorate Vocab Meme Dictionary – English to Hindi translation with picture dictionary
- (verb) give strength or energy to; “the shower had invigorated her”
invigorate (इन्विगरिट / इन्विगरेट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- दृढ़ करना, पुष्ट करना, बल बढ़ाना, जान डालना, मज़बूत करना, बलवर्धन करना, स्फूर्ति से भर देना
- mid 17th century: from medieval Latin invigorat- ‘made strong’, from the verb invigorare, from in- ‘towards’ + Latin vigorare ‘make strong’ (from vigor ‘vigour’).
invigorate in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- 850 Chinese firms invigorate Algeria ‘ s economic growth.
- Dr Reddy’s pins hopes on new molecules to invigorate profits.
- The government’s focus has been to re-energise and re-invigorate the relations.
- These specially formulated skin care products are packed with OxySphere technology to help remove dead skin cells and invigorate the skin.
- Innovation Can Invigorate Growth.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of invigorate
- in + vigor (strong) -> invigor tablet apne andar jaan phook deti hai.
Lynch Vocab Meme Dictionary – English to Hindi translation with picture dictionary
- (verb) (of a group of people) kill (someone) for an alleged offence without a legal trial, especially by hanging; “six policemen were lynched by angry crowds”
Lynch meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- बिना मुकदमे मार डालना, सज़ा
- mid 19th century: from Lynch’s law, named after Capt. William Lynch, head of a self-constituted judicial tribunal in Virginia circa 1780.
Lynch in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- This could very well pave way for lynch mobs to attack me once I am out of the studio.
- Hyena rescued from Agra village lynch mob.
- Without a trial, the mob decided to lynch the accused.
- As a hate crime, they lynched the man from a tree. He hung there with a noose around his neck and a blank expression on his face.
- The crowd, angry at his treachery, decided to lynch him.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of lynch
- lynch — inch by inch (jammen se upar)… latka diya ped se…