- (noun) a group of advisers, assistants, or others accompanying an important person; “the rock star’s retinue of security guards and personal cooks”
Retinue (रेटनू) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- late Middle English: from Old French retenue, feminine past participle (used as a noun) of retenir ‘keep back, retain’.
Retinue in a sentence (word usage in Hindu editorial newspaper)
- Acknowledging the presence of the war veterans Mr. Siddaramaiah and his retinue of Ministers, MLAs and councillors had insulted them.
- Ironically on Monday, chief minister Siddaramaiah along with a huge retinue watched the Telugu film ‘Baahubali 2’ in a multiplex in Bengaluru.
- But what’s truly worrying is that a retinue of prominent characters playing a significant role in India’s public life.
- This is a welcome one-up advantage that the Indian foreign services retinue will do well to capitalise on.
- When celebrity writer Guy de Maupassant and a Russian empress joined the retinue of visitors to Cannes, the place gained a reputation.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of retinue
- tum sab meri RETINA (of the eye ) ke aagey rehne chahiye 24*7 – u r my attnedants
- (adj) unnecessary, especially through being more than enough; “the purchaser should avoid asking for superfluous information”
Superfluous (सुपर्फ्लूअस / सूपर्फ्ल्वस) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- अतिरिक्त, अनावश्यक, निरर्थक, फ़ालतू, ज़रूरत से ज़्यादा, अति अधिक
- late Middle English: from Latin superfluus, from super- ‘over’ + fluere ‘to flow’.
Superfluous in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper editorial)
- The ‘superfluous‘ branches would be merged with the nearest SBI branch.
- Had James Milner converted his penalty and Liverpool held off Southampton for all three points, all talk of style would be superfluous.
- It is therefore superfluous to equate Hindutva with singing Vande Mataram, teaching yoga or doing surya namaskar.
- A pod hotel tends to strip a hotel room of all the superfluous facilities and compresses it down to space for a single person’s use.
- The Kolkata Knight Riders suffered a minor setback in their last game when they were blown away by David Warner’s superfluous 126.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of superfluous
- super = over… fluous = flow… overflow
- (adj) splendid and expensive-looking; “the banquet was a sumptuous, luxurious meal”
Sumptuous (सम्प्चूअस / सम्प्च्वस / सम्प्चूअस) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- आलीशान, बहुमूल्य, महंगा, वैभवशाली, शानदार, ठाठ का
- late Middle English (in the sense ‘made or produced at great cost’): from Old French somptueux, from Latin sumptuosus, from sumptus ‘expenditure’
Sumptuous in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu Newspaper editorial)
- Angelina Jolie divorced, she buys a sumptuous house!
- Tempt your taste buds with sumptuous Easter menu at Yauatcha.
- Pair the perfect wine with a sumptuous Easter dinner.
- Special prayers, sumptuous meal mark Navroz celebration in Thane.
- Our teeth are the ones who bear the brunt of our sumptuous lifestyle.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Sumptuous
- (noun) the undermining of the power and authority of an established system or institution; “the ruthless subversion of democracy”
Subversion (सब्वर्श़न) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- उलटाव, क्षय, नाश, विध्वंस, विनाश, समाप्ति
- from Late Latin subversiō destruction, from Latin subvertere to subvert
Subversion in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper editorial)
- Famous eatery suffers setback, ‘Swacchta’ Or ‘Subversion‘ by Yogi?
- President cautions against acts of disloyalty and subversion.
- CAG finds systemic subversion of rules in Vyapam appointments.
- That was a diplomatic win for the country, showcasing the subversion caused by the neighboring country.
- Alliance of subversion on university campuses, says Arun Jaitley.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of subversion
- bhaut ho gya, ab mera ye wala (destruction waala) version dekho.
- (verb) bring under domination or control, especially by conquest; “the invaders had soon subjugated most of the population”
- (verb) make someone or something subordinate to; “the new ruler firmly subjugated the Church to the state”
Subjugate meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Meaning)
- जीतना, कुचल देना, पराजित करना, वशीभूत करना, वश में करना, अधीन करना, दास बनाना, वश करना
- late Middle English: from late Latin subjugat- ‘brought under a yoke’, from the verb subjugare, based on jugum ‘yoke’.
Subjugate in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Saudis use bullying as a tactic to subjugate others.
- Most of the effort of humanity to date has been for one army to conquer and subjugate another.
- I’ve also witnessed the brutal way we use words to subjugate and spiritually crush black women.
- You can not subjugate us, you can not control our lives, you can never win.
- Senior Trump Adviser Thinks Muslims ‘By And Large’ Want To ‘Subjugate‘ Non-Muslims.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of subjugate
- sub log jhuk jao mere gate ke aage