- (adj) witheringly scornful; severely critical; “Kejriwal launched a scathing attack on the Prime Minister”
Scathing (स्केदिंग / स्कैदिंग) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- तीखा, हानि पहुंचाने वाला, नुकसान पहुंचाने वाला
- Middle English: from Old Norse skathi (noun), skatha (verb); related to Dutch and German schaden (verb).
Scathing in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Nick Smith dodges questions on scathing environment report.
- Modi is doing ‘khoon ki dalaali’: Rahul’s scathing attack on PM.
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal made a scathing attack on the BJP state government in Gujarat for utilizing force during the Patel agitation.
- BJP at the national council launched a scathing attack on Pakistan following the Uri terror attack.
- He’s a punk, he’s a dog, he’s a pig: Robert De Niro’s scathing attack on Donald Trump.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of scathing
- (verb) (especially of a small animal or child) run with quick light steps, especially through fear or excitement;“he scampered in like an overgrown puppy”
- (noun) an act of scampering;“he heard the squeak and scamper of rats”
Scamper (स्कैम्पर) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- तेज़ी से दौड़ जाना, भाग जाना, रफूचक्कर हो जाना
- late 17th century (in the sense ‘run away’): probably from scamp.
Scamper in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Kohli reached the mark while trying to steal a single and he had to scamper to the non-striker’s end but in the end he was comfortably in.
- With none of the scamper, hurry ,bustle, dash and dart I was able to walk right up to my office desk unruffled and composed.
- The batsmen scamper through for a single.
- At this tender age when other children scamper around in their free time, this class 3 student takes on the role of a librarian.
- A bunch of rats scamper down the Metro steps (‘racing’ to outdo the other) – except those two at the top of the stairs.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of scamper
- scamper = scam + per … scam karke scamper
- (adj) (of a person or action) showing dedication and diligence;“he watched himself with the most sedulous care”
Sedulous (सेजलस) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- mid 16th century: from Latin sedulus ‘zealous’ + -ous.
Sedulous in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- The students, who are sedulous, can make a great headway in academic activities for which emotional learning is an admirable path.
- The work of Krishna District Collector Babu A, in the ongoing construction of the new capital is marked by a sedulous attention to detail.
- We hope Aamir Khan finds the suitable girl to play his daughter in Dangal and all his sedulous efforts come to fruition.
- Governments have been quite sedulous in trying to support and generally encourage the industry, in terms of offering subsidies.
- He is remembered for his sedulous work in Den Amstel and in the villages of Guyana.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of sedulous
- seducing a lady is no doubt a sedulous task
- (noun) an afternoon rest or nap, especially one taken during the hottest hours of the day in a hot climate; “everyone had a siesta for a few hours”
Siesta (सीएस्ट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- mid 17th century: Spanish, from Latin sexta (hora ) ‘sixth hour’.
Siesta in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- A lunchtime siesta is also said to improve cognitive processing, reinforce memory, boost creativity and balance emotions.
- Chaurasia, who has a shop near the building, used to saunter on to the terrace every afternoon for a siesta.
- Is a midday siesta good for you?
- That might keep the boss at bay while you take an afternoon siesta at work!
- She has no time for afternoon siesta and two prime-time soap operas on television are her only entertainment of the day.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of siesta
- (verb) interpret (a person’s words or actions) wrongly; “his indifference can easily be misconstrued as arrogance”
Misconstrue (मिस्कन्स्ट्रू) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- गलत समझना, अशुद्ध अर्थ करना, गलत अर्थ लगाना
- 1350-1400; Middle English; mis-, construe
Misconstrue in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- However, unfortunately, a scarily large number of people misconstrue completely unrelated behaviour and traits as sexual consent.
- Don’t misconstrue religion as communalism: Badal
- Lot of things I say are misconstrued: Shah Rukh Khan.
- Don’t misconstrue SC order: Sanjiv Bhatt to Modi.
- They must not misconstrue individual mistakes as political issues and put pressure on the courts.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of misconstrue
- miscontrue = missing the truepart