- (verb) stay in a place longer than necessary because of a reluctance to leave. “she lingered in the yard, enjoying the warm sunshine”
- (verb) spend a long time over (something). “she lingered over her meal”
- (verb) be slow to disappear or die. “the tradition seems to linger on”
Linger meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- धीमे से करना, टिका रहना,घसिटते रहना, ठहरा रहना, रुका रहना, ठहराना, जैसे-तैसे बिताना, ठहराना, देर तक ठहरना, विलंब करना, विलंबित करना
- Middle English (in the sense ‘dwell, abide’): frequentative of obsolete leng ‘prolong’, of Germanic origin; related to German längen ‘make long(er)’, also to long1.
Linger in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- What Kashmir teaches about mutual mistrust, The truth is, many Indian Muslims did not identify with the freedom … of the India-Pakistan partition, the after effects of which continue to linger, …
- Memories of 2009 attack still linger; 10 Lankan players opt out of Pak tour … India revoked the special status accorded to the region in August.
- Southern Summer, Indian Charm, Summer in the South East lingers on like an old friend. Fall waits patiently to move in. Winter is a distant dream in books about Christmas, and …
- How much more stress is left for Indian stock markets, In dollar terms, the MSCI India index has undershot the MSCI EM index since the start of … So the current weakness could linger for a long time.
- NYC Cricket Team Grapples With Escalating Tension in Kashmir, Most of the players are immigrants from India or Pakistan, where cricket … Still, there are underlying differences that linger as an integral part of …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Linger
- Linger— Ginger… the taste of ginger is still present in my tongue although its slowly leaving
- sounds like lingerie(fashion show)where models walk for a long time on ramp ans they never want to leave it
Gang Rape Case in India: Insecurity Lingers After Death Sentences