- (verb) search unsystematically and untidily through something; “he rummaged in his pocket for a handkerchief”
- find (something) by rummaging; “Mick rummaged up his skateboard”
- (of a customs officer) make a thorough search of (a vessel); “our brief was to rummage as many of the vessels as possible”
- (noun) an unsystematic and untidy search; “open up the box and have a rummage around”
- a thorough search of a vessel by a customs officer; “a rummage of the vessel revealed eighty cases of cigars”
Rummage (रुम्माज / रूममगे / रुममगे) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- खोजना, छान मारना, खूब तलाश करना, उथल-पुथल करते हुए खोजना, ढूंढ मचाना, चप्पा चप्पा छान मारना, खोज, छानबीन, प्रथम आमाशय, फुटकर सामान, छान-बीन
- late 15th century: from Old French arrumage, from arrumer ‘stow (in a hold)’, from Middle Dutch ruim‘room’. In early use the word referred to the arranging of items such as casks in the hold of a ship, giving rise (early 17th century) to the verb sense ‘make a search of (a vessel’).
Rummage in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Bin raiders explain why they rummage through rubbish for cash.
- Oh Man, its time to rummage in the freezer for a new Booker sponsor.
- They go into it, rummage through it, steal the value things out of the car.
- “Oh my gosh, it’s disgusting, it’s disgusting to have someone come and rummage through your fridge and eat your food,” said Jordan.
- Shoppers who arrive unprepared can rummage through bins of free miscellaneous containers or purchase reusable packaging.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of rummage
- yeh rumaal ageo (saalo) se dhoond raha hoon.
Rummage Sale MADNESS! + First Garage Sale Of The Year?!