- (noun) a man who is rough or clumsy and unintelligent; “they are just big, clumsy oafs”
Oaf (ओफ) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- उल्लू, गंवार, मूर्ख, जारज संतान, बेवकूफ़ आदमी, गोबर-गणेश
- early 17th century: variant of obsolete auf, from Old Norse álfr ‘elf’. The original meaning was ‘elf’s child, changeling’, later ‘idiot child’ and ‘halfwit’, generalized in the current sense.
Oaf in a sentence
- Since the oaf never performed very well in school, he became lazy by living for years in his parent’s basement never being able to gain employment.
- With the oaf’s foolish answer in class, everyone rolled their eyes and ignored any future answers he would say
- While attempting to rob the bank, the oaf accidentally wrote his name on the slip he gave the bank teller demanding money.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of reverberate
- Loafer mein chhupa hai oaf
- (adj) outdated or obsolete through age or new developments; “superannuated computing equipment”
- (adj) (of a post or employee) belonging to a superannuation scheme; “she is not superannuated and has no paid holiday”
- (verb) retire (someone) with a pension; “his pilot’s licence was withdrawn and he was superannuated”
Superannuated (सूपरैन्यूएट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- पुराना हो जाना, सेवा निवृत्त हो जाना
- mid 17th century: back-formation from superannuated, from medieval Latin superannuatus, from Latin super- ‘over’ + annus ‘year’.
Superannuated in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper editorial)
- Life’s too short to read superannuated Marxists.
- The Indian fleet has less than 30 superannuated medium-size anti-sub helicopters, the first of which was bought in 1971.
- Joshi, who will superannuate in June, is one of the five high profile.
- When I retired, I went from SVP to superannuated in the space of an hour.
- Both the MDs have a tenure of nearly two years and will be superannuated in 2019.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of superannuated
- super + annum = super purana… saalo saal purana
- (verb) split apart; “a universe sundered ages ago in a divine war”
Sunder (सन्डर) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- तोड़ना, पृथक करना, अलग करना, टुकड़े में करना
- late Old English sundrian ; related to German sondern.
Sunder in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper editorial)
- The gangsters sunder themselves from the group.
- It is very difficult to sunder iron from the mixture of iron and sulphur.
- He hated her and was forever sundered from her.
- Then, I tell you, we saw horses and men sunder their loves.
- They clasped and sundered, did the coupler’s will.
Mnemonic trick to sunder the meaning of sunder
- sunder ladki se alag (sunder) hona mushkil hai
- (adj) splendid and expensive-looking; “the banquet was a sumptuous, luxurious meal”
Sumptuous (सम्प्चूअस / सम्प्च्वस / सम्प्चूअस) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- आलीशान, बहुमूल्य, महंगा, वैभवशाली, शानदार, ठाठ का
- late Middle English (in the sense ‘made or produced at great cost’): from Old French somptueux, from Latin sumptuosus, from sumptus ‘expenditure’
Sumptuous in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu Newspaper editorial)
- Angelina Jolie divorced, she buys a sumptuous house!
- Tempt your taste buds with sumptuous Easter menu at Yauatcha.
- Pair the perfect wine with a sumptuous Easter dinner.
- Special prayers, sumptuous meal mark Navroz celebration in Thane.
- Our teeth are the ones who bear the brunt of our sumptuous lifestyle.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Sumptuous