- (noun) a group of advisers, assistants, or others accompanying an important person; “the rock star’s retinue of security guards and personal cooks”
Retinue (रेटनू) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- late Middle English: from Old French retenue, feminine past participle (used as a noun) of retenir ‘keep back, retain’.
Retinue in a sentence (word usage in Hindu editorial newspaper)
- Acknowledging the presence of the war veterans Mr. Siddaramaiah and his retinue of Ministers, MLAs and councillors had insulted them.
- Ironically on Monday, chief minister Siddaramaiah along with a huge retinue watched the Telugu film ‘Baahubali 2’ in a multiplex in Bengaluru.
- But what’s truly worrying is that a retinue of prominent characters playing a significant role in India’s public life.
- This is a welcome one-up advantage that the Indian foreign services retinue will do well to capitalise on.
- When celebrity writer Guy de Maupassant and a Russian empress joined the retinue of visitors to Cannes, the place gained a reputation.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of retinue
- tum sab meri RETINA (of the eye ) ke aagey rehne chahiye 24*7 – u r my attnedants
- (noun) the undermining of the power and authority of an established system or institution; “the ruthless subversion of democracy”
Subversion (सब्वर्श़न) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- उलटाव, क्षय, नाश, विध्वंस, विनाश, समाप्ति
- from Late Latin subversiō destruction, from Latin subvertere to subvert
Subversion in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper editorial)
- Famous eatery suffers setback, ‘Swacchta’ Or ‘Subversion‘ by Yogi?
- President cautions against acts of disloyalty and subversion.
- CAG finds systemic subversion of rules in Vyapam appointments.
- That was a diplomatic win for the country, showcasing the subversion caused by the neighboring country.
- Alliance of subversion on university campuses, says Arun Jaitley.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of subversion
- bhaut ho gya, ab mera ye wala (destruction waala) version dekho.
- (adj) abrupt or offhand in speech or manner; “she could be brusque and impatient”
Brusque (ब्रस्क) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- mid 17th century: from French, ‘lively, fierce’, from Italian brusco ‘sour’.
Brusque in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Donald Trump is brusque, aggressive, narcissistic and most likely, brutally honest.
- Known for his hard-line law-and-order views and brusque manner, he would set a very different tone than previous holders of the job.
- Trump has come across as brusque, almost bordering on being boorish, with no respect for the woman.
- While such sudden and brusque changes are the norm in corporate America which did not even spare its CEO Steve Jobs in 1985.
- Brusque & ruthless, Jagmohan Dalmiya lifted the game.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of brusque
- brush kyun??? I dont want to brush and kiss you!
- (noun) a connection or series of connections linking two or more things;“the nexus between industry and political power”
- (noun) a central or focal point;“the nexus of any government in this country is No. 10”
Nexus (नेक्सस) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- बंधन, संपर्क, सम्बन्ध, ताल्लुक़, मिलीभगत, सांठ-गांठ
- mid 17th century: from Latin, ‘a binding together’, from nex- ‘bound’, from the verb nectere
Nexus in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- ‘Achhe din’ will not arrive, even in Gujarat, until the nexusbetween the ruling class and the mafia is overthrown, said Medha Patka.
- CJP warns of nexus between terrorists, political parties.
- AAP alleges nexus between Sundar Pichai led Google and Modi.
- Army Chief General Raheel Sharif on Tuesday night called for reforms to break the nexusbetween corruption and terrorism.
- There is a nexus between unscrupulous builders, encroachers and officials,” said noted environmentalist K Purushotham Reddy.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of nexus
Valour Vocab Meme Dictionary – English to Hindi translation with picture dictionary
- (noun) the qualities of a hero or heroine; exceptional or heroic courage when facing danger (especially in battle); “the medals are awarded for acts of valour”
Valour (वैलर) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- वीरता, दिलेरी, निर्भयता, पराक्रम, बहादुरी, शूरता, साहस
- Middle English (denoting worth derived from personal qualities or rank): via Old French from late Latin valor, from valere ‘be strong’.
Valour in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that the dam has not been built by bricks and mortar, “but by faith of our friendship and valour of Afghans”.
- PM Modi salutes the valour of soldiers at Arlington Cemetery.
- Chittorgarh: A saga of valour and courage.
- Son of local mom earns Medal of Valour.
- He indeed set an unforgettable and remarkable precedent of valour that still inspires and is a beacon for the institution of army.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of valour