- (verb) clear the bed of (a harbour, river, or other area of water) by scooping out mud, weeds, and rubbish with a dredge. “the lower stretch of the river had been dredged”
- (verb) bring up or clear (something) from a river, harbour, or other area of water with a dredge. “mud was dredged out of the harbour”
- (verb) bring something unwelcome and forgotten or obscure to people’s attention. “I don’t understand why you had to dredge up this story”
- (noun) an apparatus for bringing up objects or mud from a river or seabed by scooping or dragging.
Dredge meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- सीपियों का जाल, तलकर्षण करना, बुरकना, जाल से पकड़ना, तलकर्षण करना, छिड़क देना, छिड़कना, डालना, झाम
- late 15th century (as a noun; originally in dredge-boat ): perhaps related to Middle Dutch dregghe‘grappling hook’.
- late 16th century: from obsolete dredge ‘sweetmeat, mixture of spices’, from Old French dragie, perhaps via Latin from Greek tragēmata ‘spices’. Compare with dragée.
Dredge in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Global Dredging Market Latest Trend Gaining Momentum in Industry …
- Four Port Trusts Buy Dredging Corporation of India
- Cabinet Clears Strategic Sale Of Government Equity In Dredging …
- Plan to dredge out Ganga bed silt deposits
- Pre-dredging survey at Chapora river mouth to deepen navigational …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Dredge
- Dredge: dragging dead from the ground!