- (noun) the right to vote in political elections. “universal adult suffrage”
- (noun) a vote given in assent to a proposal or in favour of the election of a particular person. “the suffrages of the community”
- (noun) (in the Book of Common Prayer) the intercessory petitions pronounced by a priest in the Litany.
Suffrage meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- निर्वाचनाधिकार, वोट देने का अधिकार, मत, मताधिकार, राजनैतिक, साक्ष्य, चुनाव में वोट देने का अधिकार, मतदान देने का अधिकार
- late Middle English (in the sense ‘intercessory prayers’, also ‘assistance’): from Latin suffragium, reinforced by French suffrage . The modern sense of ‘right to vote’ was originally US (dating from the late 18th century).
Suffrage in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- india was to be a full-blooded democracy from the moment of its birth. … of adult suffrage will bring enlightenment and promote the well-being, …
- The message tells every adult Indian citizen to vote as his birthday this year … Assembly of every State shall be on the basis of adult suffrage…
- In that context, India became a trailblazer by granting women the equal … By the time women got unconditional suffrage in the latter in 1928, …
- “Article 326 of the Constitution clearly lays down that the right to vote in India should only be decided through suffrage and nothing else,” he …
- India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi, is up for re-election as the head of … Nevertheless, Indians introduced universal adult suffrage soon after …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Suffrage
- SUFFRAGE after u reach super age (18) you get voting right
- People suffered to win the vote: suffragettes
- if u vote for a party and the other party wins, u will suffer rage