- (noun) a large travelling bag, typically made of stiff leather and opening into two equal parts.
- (noun) a word blending the sounds and combining the meanings of two others, for example motel or brunch. “podcast is a portmanteau, a made-up word coined from a combination of the words iPod and broadcast”
- (noun) consisting of or combining two or more aspects or qualities. “a portmanteau movie composed of excerpts from his most famous films”
Portmanteau meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- पोर्टमेंटो, ट्रक, वस्र रखने का चमड़े का बेग, सूटकेस
- mid 16th century: from French portemanteau, from porter ‘carry’ + manteau ‘mantle’.
Portmanteau in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- How RuPay aids govt’s financial inclusion thrust, RuPay, the name being a portmanteau of “rupee” and “payment”, has been … make international purchases and withdraw cash outside India.
- Amazon adds Hindi to the Alexa Skills Kit, … Hinglish (a portmanteau of Hindi and English) commands. Rohit Prasad, vice president and head scientist for Alexa, told Indian news agency …
- Kashmir To Kanyakumari, 50 Cities & 2.5 Lakh Indians Set For India’s …, Plogging, a portmanteau of ‘Plocka upp’ which means ‘pick up’ in … It was probably in 2017 that India’s first plog run took place in Delhi and, …
- A91 partners, a VC firm by former Sequoia India execs closes its debut …, It actually is an interesting portmanteau of sorts. 91 stands for the country code of India and A comes from India’s greatest emperor, Ashoka.
- Deepfakes: it’s all in the blink of an eye, The term “deepfakes”, a portmanteau of “deep learning” and “fake”, first … “We definitely have come across morphed images here in India and …
How to Create a Portmanteau…or Not!