(noun) a manner of speaking that is natural to native speakers of a language
Parlance (पार्लन्स) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- late 16th century (denoting speech or debate): from Old French, from parler ‘speak’, from Latin parabola ‘comparison’ (in late Latin ‘speech’).e
Parlance in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- The Punjab government has instructed all department heads to forbid the use of words ‘Harijan’ and ‘Girijan’ in official parlance.
- What really happened: First of all, you’ll want to call them droids, not robots, in keeping with Star Wars parlance.
- In contemporary financial parlance, a start-up that achieves a valuation of one billion dollars is referred to as a unicorn.
- The symbol is pronounced manji in Japanese parlance, the BBC report added.
- UP is known for several such criminals, or Dons in local parlance.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Parlance
- Parlance = PARticular + LANguage
gangs of wasseypur parlance
(verb) make (someone) so frightened that they are unable to move; “the thought of speaking in public petrified her”
(verb) change into stone; “the petrified remains of prehistoric animals”
Petrify (पेट्रफाइ) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- पत्थर बनाना, कड़ा बनाना, पत्थर हो जाना, हक्का बक्का कर देना, हाथ पाँव फुला देना
- late Middle English: from French pétrifier, from medieval Latin petrificare, from Latin petra ‘rock’, from Greek.
Petrify in a sentence (word usage in newspaper)
- Mathematics used to petrify IT minister K.T. Rama Rao when he was a student.
- He was always good at mimicry and would often accompany the shadows with scary noises that used to petrify me.
- Well, I think this blast, just a few days before the New Year, is clearly an attempt to petrify people who visit Church Street.
- His presence in a press room, in a stadium or a restaurant, is enough to petrify anyone in the first instance.
- My parents used to petrify us with stories when we were children!
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of petrify
I Am Petrified Of Making Mistakes In Front Of The Camera : Amitabh Bachchan
(verb) (of a man) readily or frequently enter into casual sexual relationships with women.
Philander meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
व्यभिचार करना, खिलवाड़ करना
- mid 18th century: from the earlier noun philander ‘man, husband’, often used in literature as the given name of a lover, from Greek philandros ‘fond of men’, from philein ‘to love’ + anēr ‘man’.
Philander in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- They accepted that their husbands would philander with other women.
- He had no time or inclination to philander.
- A heavy-drinking philanderer, he regularly mistreated his young wife.
- Camille believes Bill is simply a jolly philanderer with women who “consented to drugs and sex.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Philander
- Philanderer = phir se land 🙂
Identify the Philanderer(s) in this video
(noun) an animal that naturally preys on others; “wolves are major predators of small mammals”
(noun) a person who ruthlessly exploits others; “a sexual predator”
Predator meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
परभक्षी, लुटेरा, हिंस्त्र, दरिंदा
- 1920s: from Latin praedator ‘plunderer’, from praedat- ‘seized as plunder’, from the verb praedari
Predator in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- On Sunday, Danczuk’s first wife told the Mail on Sunday that the MP was a sexual predator.
- Snakes with this body form tend to be slow moving, and can thus not rely on speed to escape from predators.
- The puff adder is a relatively thick meter-long snake that makes its living as an ambush predator.
- The sexual predator, who has been arrested and identified as Mohammad Akram Khan, claims that the girl had approached him.
- Though the lion is a great predator, its encounters with crocodiles are rare.
How Predator Should Have Ended
(verb) (of a boat) be overturned in the water
Capsize (कैप्साइज़) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- late 18th century: perhaps based on Spanish capuzar ‘sink (a ship) by the head’, from cabo ‘head’ + chapuzar ‘to dive or duck’.
Capsize in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- At least 21 drown after boats capsize off Turkey.
- At least 11 migrants are dead and 13 others went missing as the boat carrying about 50 migrant labourers capsized off Greek island.
- Death toll in Egypt boat capsize rises to 33.
- 14 killed as boat capsizes off Malaysia coast.
- China ship capsize toll 18, more than 400 missing.
Mnemonic trick to remember the capsize
- cap ke size ki boat toh doob hi jaayegi
CAPSIZE IN GULF OF ALASKA