- (verb) shorten (a word, phrase, or text)
Abbreviate (अब्रीवीएट / अब्रीवीऐट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- संक्षेप करना, कम करना, छोटा करना, संक्षिप्त करना
- late Middle English: from late Latin abbreviat- ‘shortened’, from the verb abbreviare, from Latin brevis ‘short’.
Abbreviate in a sentence (usage in newspaper)
- We started noticing that the younger generation tends to abbreviate longer names and hence we thought abbreviation is a good idea.
- Smile’s TextExpander 5 helps you type faster by making suggestions of frequently-typed phrases to abbreviate and save time.
- First, the abbreviation of a word should not be longer or more complex than the word itself.
- I know many friends who have shortened their name or found a similar name to abbreviate or adapt their difficult Indian name.
- According to the two comedians, the best way to “speak” is to just abbreviate everything to keep conversations short.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of abbreviate
- Abbreviate word mein chhupa hai brevity(means brief)
SMS English ( Lesson) – Modern English abbreviations and Shortened text messages