- (noun) a shortened version of a written work; “an abridgement of a book”
- (law) curtailment of rights; “the abridgement of the rights of ownership”
Abridgement (अब्रिज्मन्ट / अब्रीज्मन्ट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- संक्षेपण, संक्षिप्तीकरण, सार, संक्षेप
- late Middle English: from Old French abregement, from the verb abreg(i)er (see abridge)
Abridgement in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- “We, and our Nationhood, Defined” a text which he later revealed was an abridgement of an essay on nationalism by Babarao Savarkar.”
- Here on Earth, it’s easy to guess that “droid” is an abridgement of “android,” an anthropomorphic robot.
- In an ironic coincidence, the First Amendment to the US’s constitution prohibits any abridgement of free speech.
- There is no case of abridgement of free speech because it offends religious sentiment or political ideology.
- The 4S in the nomenclature, in Hyundai’s words is an abridgement of Style, Safety, Sophistication and Speed.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of abridgement
- Abridgement mein chuppa hai “bridge” (shortens distance)
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)