- (noun) a polite expression of praise or admiration. “she paid me an enormous compliment”
- (noun) an act or circumstance that implies praise or respect. “it’s a compliment to the bride to dress up on her special day”
- (noun) congratulations or praise expressed to someone. “my compliments on your cooking”
- (noun) formal greetings, especially when sent as a message. “carry my compliments to your kinsmen”
- (verb) politely congratulate or praise (someone) for something. “he complimented Erika on her appearance”
- (verb) praise (something) politely. “the manager was heard to compliment the other team’s good play”
- (verb) present someone with (something) as a mark of courtesy. “Prince George expected to be complimented with a seat in the royal coach”
Compliment meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- प्रशंसा, शुभकामनाएँ, प्रशंसा करना, अभिनंदन करना, प्रशंसा करना, समादर करना
- mid 17th century: from French compliment (noun), complimenter (verb), from Italian complimento ‘fulfilment of the requirements of courtesy’, from Latin complementum ‘completion, fulfilment’ (reflected in the earlier English spelling complement, gradually replaced by the French form between 1655 and 1715).
Compliment in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- IMO’s appreciation testimony of India’s commitment to global …, New Delhi [India], Nov 30 (ANI): The compliment of International Maritime Organisation (IMO) highly appreciating India’s decision of accession …
- Senior army officials compliment APS students, Two senior army officials complimented the Army Public School, Deolali … table tennis to represent India and win an international medal.
- Sports Min Rijiju at Fitness Week: Start technical evaluation …, Having a Fit India Week in the month of November and December … I compliment HRD Ministry and CBSE for starting #FitnessWeek in all it’s …
- Rajya Sabha compliments Naidu on completion of all …, New Delhi, Nov 29 (PTI) The Rajya Sabha complimented its Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu on Friday for completion of all starred questions
- The rise of Uddhav Thackeray, … of the gang of extortionists was Balasaheb’s biggest compliment to his … the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), Thackeray criticised …