- (noun) a chain or manacle used to restrain a prisoner, typically placed around the ankles.
- (noun) a restraint or check on someone’s freedom to act.
- (verb) restrain with chains or manacles, typically around the ankles.
- (verb) confine or restrict (someone)
Fetter (फेटर) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- बेड़ी, बंधन, रोक
- Old English feter, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch veter ‘a lace’, from an Indo-European root shared by foot.
Fetter in a sentence (usage in newspaper)
- Old policies have become a fetter on growth and a change is sorely needed.
- The indifference of some permanent members of the Council to even fetter such terrorists under the Council’s own sanctions regimes.
- Just as the caste system in Hinduism is a fetter, do you feel that the labyrinthine regulations of the Catholic Church too are a fetter?
- The law has been challenged as an unconstitutional fetter on free speech, and one that is satisfied through the civil defamation provision.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of fetter
- Fetter = Feet + tied
Pairon Mein Bandhan(fetter) Hai with Lyrics *HQ* 1080p – Mohabbatein