- (verb) (of a fabric, rope, or cord) unravel or become worn at the edge, typically through constant rubbing. “cheap fabric soon frays”
- (verb) (of a person’s nerves or temper) show the effects of strain. “as the temperature rose, tempers frayed”
- (verb) (of a male deer) rub (a bush or small tree) with the head in order to remove the velvet from newly formed antlers, or to mark territory during the rut. “bucks mark their territory by fraying small trees”
- (noun) a situation of intense competitive activity. “ten companies intend to bid for the contract, with three more expected to enter the fray”
- (noun) a battle or fight. “he charged into the thick of the fray and went down fighting”
Fray meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- दंगा , प्रतिस्पर्धा, लड़ाई, लड़ाई, कलह, झगड़ा, डराना, चिढ़ना, झगड़ कर तय करना, घिस जाना, उधेड़ना
- late Middle English: from Old French freiier, from Latin fricare ‘to rub’.
- late Middle English: from archaic fray ‘to quarrel’, from affray ‘startle’, from Anglo-Norman French afrayer (see affray).
Fray in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- India bests China in election to UN body, They made a statement of sorts Tuesday when India’s Jagjit Pavadia was … The election was tough with 15 candidates in the fray for five seats.
- Lok Sabha elections, India Today’s Data Intelligence Unit (DIU) has found … There are four men and four women in the fray, making women …
- India is scheduled to get two very large crude carriers with 4 million … Adding to the fray is India’s impressive export segment of petroleum
- India’s Ganemat Sekhon today returned the joint third-best score in the … Two other Indians in the fray — Maheshwari Chauhan with 66 and …
- Chandigarh: In Haryana, 223 candidates have been left in fray for election to 10 Lok Sabha seats after withdrawal of nomination by ten …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Fray
- wen v fry somthin it makes lot of noise.
- we only pray to God only when we are in the fray