- (adj) causing repulsion or horror; grisly;“the most gruesome murder”
Gruesome meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- कुरूप, डरावना, भयंकर, भयानक, भीषण, वीभत्स
- late 16th century: from Scots grue ‘to feel horror, shudder’ (of Scandinavian origin) + -some1. Rare before the late 18th century, the word was popularized by Sir Walter Scott.
Gruesome in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Gruesome Images Soon To Adorn Cigarette Packs.
- City businessman survives gruesome E-way accident.
- Gruesome footage shows prison inmate wrapped in carpet, gagged and burned alive during jail riot.
- Kenya police accused of ‘gruesome violence’ in Nairobi.
- Police: Dad kills kids, wife in gruesome Hawaii triple murder.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of gruesome
- gruesome ~ cruelsome