- (noun) an object on which a bird alights or roosts, typically a branch or horizontal bar. “the budgerigar shuffled along its perch”
- (noun) a place where someone or something rests or sits, especially one that is high or precarious. “Marian looked down from her perch in a beech tree above the road”
- (noun) used in names of other freshwater and marine fishes resembling or related to the perch, e.g. climbing perch, pikeperch, sea perch, surfperch.
- (noun) a measure of length, especially for land, equal to a quarter of a chain or 5 1/2 yards (approximately 5.029 m).
- (noun) a measure of area, especially for land, equal to 160th of an acre or 30 1/4 square yards (approximately 25.29 sq. metres).
- (verb) (of a bird) alight or rest on something. “a herring gull perched on the rails”
- (verb) (of a person) sit on something high or narrow. “Eve perched on the side of the armchair”
- (verb) (of a building) be situated above or on the edge of something. “the fortress is perched on a crag in the mountains”
- (verb) set or balance someone or something on. “Peter perched a pair of gold-rimmed spectacles on his nose”
Perch meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- किनारे पर बैठना, ठिकाना, बैठना, चिड़ियों के बैठने का अड्डा, चक्कस, ऊँचा स्थान, बसेरा, अड्डे पर बैठना, एक प्रकार की मछली, ऊँचा स्थान पर बैठना, कवई मछली,टिका होना, मचान, अड्डा, अड्डे पर बैठना, ऊंचे पर रखना, गज़ की नाप, पर्च, बसेरा, मीठे जल की मछली
- Middle English (in the general sense ‘pole, stick’): from Old French perche, from Latin pertica ‘measuring rod, pole’.
- late Middle English: from Old French perche, via Latin from Greek perkē .
- late Middle English: the noun from perch3; the verb from Old French percher .
Perch in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Granite boxes form clifftop house overlooking a lake in India, Stacked boxes clad in stone perch on a rocky outcrop overlooking … Called Lakehouse, the house in southern India has two distinct sides to its …
- Trump amplifies conspiracy theories from perch of presidency, With a pair of weekend retweets, President Donald Trump amplified an unfounded conspiracy theory. It was hardly the first time. His political …
- 2019 Hyundai Elantra Facelift (Honda Civic Rival) India Launch In …, Hyundai Motor India Limited (HMIL) has been on a launch spree … the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza off its perch in the July 2019 sales table.
- BWF World Championships: Indian players quarterfinal roundup – PV … array of soft touches and wily deception to throw Sindhu off her perch.
- The Great Indian personal Space Mission, And just like Moses parted the Red Sea, the people parted to create space enough for her to perch. The person poured in like hot glue and …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Perch
- oerch=CHhat+PER…. usually people REST on roofs(chhat)