- (verb) fail to resist pressure, temptation, or some other negative force. “we cannot merely give up and succumb to despair”
- (verb) die from the effect of a disease or injury. “after a few blows there, the porcupine succumbs”
Succumb meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- मरना, शिकार होना, झुक जाना, हार मान लेना, दम तोड़ देना, परास्त होना, अधीन होना, मर जाना, मान जाना, मृत्यु को प्राप्त होना, वशीभूत होना
- late 15th century (in the sense ‘bring low, overwhelm’): from Old French succomber or Latin succumbere, from sub- ‘under’ + a verb related to cubare ‘to lie’.
Succumb in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Markets succumb to late sell-off; post weekly loss, Domestic market participants are also tracking developments surrounding India-US trade talks, traders added. Top losers in the Sensex pack …
- India won’t succumb to pressure of developed countries on climate …, Environment and Forest Minister Prakash Javadekar today said that India will not succumb to pressure of developed countries on the issue of …
- One killed as motorbike hit him ; rider too succumb, One killed as motorbike hit him ; rider too succumb … occurred when the pedestrian, a labourer from North India, was crossing the road.
- India succumb to 1st WC loss vs England, Birmingham: England survived to live for another day as they outbatted India for a 31-run win in a high-scoring World Cup encounter, keeping …
- Malad wall collapse: Toll rises to 29 after two succumb to injuries …, The death toll in Malad wall collapse has now touched 29 after two injured victims being treated in the hospital succumbed; The patient …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Succumb
- succumb(Suck + thumb)- Children doesnt give up sucking their thumb – Children are succumb in sucking thumb
- succumb= sir+comb, when sir asked you that do you have a COMB(which is a bad thing, in school)? you gave your comb reluctantly