- (noun) a broad strip or area of something. “vast swathes of countryside”
- (noun) a row or line of grass, corn, or other crop as it falls or lies when mown or reaped. “if the day is windy, the swathes should be high and narrow”
- (noun) a strip left clear by the passage of a mowing machine or scythe. “the combine had cut a deep swathe around the border of the fields”
- (noun) a piece or strip of material in which something is wrapped. “they wrapped the body inside a canvas swathe”
- (verb) wrap in several layers of fabric. “his hands were swathed in bandages”
Swathe meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- लपेटना, चौड़ी पट्टी, पट्टी, बाँधना, लपेटना
- Old English swæth, swathu ‘track, trace’, of West Germanic origin; related to Dutch zwad(e ) and German Schwade . In Middle English the term denoted a measure of the width of grassland, probably reckoned by a sweep of the mower’s scythe.
- late Old English swath- (noun), swathian (verb); compare with swaddle.
Swathe in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Chandrayaan-2: Why Nasa was unable to spot Vikram lander …, The high-resolution photographs capture a large swathe of the cratered … the targeted landing site of India’s Chandrayaan-2 lander, Vikram.
- Pakistan loses claim for Nizam of Hyderabad’s millions, But with the end of Britain’s control of India, he was forced to strike a … wealth in return for ceding the vast swathe of south-central India that was …
- Top 10 biz headlines: Forever 21 to shut shop, core sector …, … as the shift to e-commerce cut a swathe through traditional retailers. … However, there are concerns over the LNG demand growth in India …
- Monsoon batters Mumbai; more rains forecast for region, Heavy rains pounded a familiar swathe across West and adjoining Central India, with the hill station of Matheran near Mumbai recording the ..
- China defaults set to worsen as $7.8 billion bonds due next year, Trouble is, a swathe of the borrowers with debt due next year lacked strong fundamentals, and took advantage of unusually sweet financing …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Swathe
- or obse(ssed)-Qui( yes in frech)-ous=always obsessed with saying yes to it all
- ob + SEQUI + ous .. sequi means sequence where one thing “follows” the other.. and servants follow what their masters say..