- (verb) hurl missiles repeatedly at; “two boys pelted him with rotten apples”
- (verb) hurl (something) at someone or something; “she spotted four boys pelting stones at ducks”
- (of rain, hail, or snow) fall quickly and very heavily; “the rain was pelting down”
- (informal) run somewhere very quickly; “I pelted across the road”
- (Phrases) full pelt — as fast as possible; “I ran downstairs at full pelt”
- (noun) the skin of an animal with the fur, wool, or hair still on it; “traders brought reindeer pelts”
- (Phrases) in one’s pelt — naked.“they came across Henn, standing in his pelt by the river”
Pelt (पेलत / पलट / पेल्ट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- झपटना, झोंकना, डालना, पीटना, फेंकना, मारना, फेंक कर मारना, ताबड़तोड़ भागना, मूसलाधार होना, तेज़ी से आगे बढ़ना, खाल, चमड़ा, चोट, मार, कच्चा चमड़ा, ताबड़तोड़ भागना, मूसलाधार होना, कूड़ा-कर्कट, फेंकने का कार्य
- Middle English: either from obsolete pellet ‘skin’, from an Old French diminutive of pel ‘skin’, from Latin pellis ‘skin’, or a back-formation from peltry.
Pelt in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Miscreants pelt stones on new Train 18 during trial run.
- Hailstorm, rain pelt down on rabi crops.
- New Zealand canoe hire shop housed Tassie tiger pelt worth $250000.
- Storms pelt Shaver Lake with snow and rain mix.
- An animal’s pelt can be affected by a number of environmental factors.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of pelt
- (noun) the state of being important, famous, or noticeable; “she came to prominence as an artist in the 1960s”
- (noun) the fact or state of projecting from something; “radiographs showed enlargement of the right heart with prominence of the pulmonary outflow tract”
- (noun) a thing that projects from something, such as a projecting feature of the landscape or a protuberance on a part of the body; “the steep rocky prominence resembled a snow-capped mountain”
- (astronomy) a stream of incandescent gas projecting above the sun’s chromosphere.
Prominence (प्रोमिनेंस / प्रोमीनेंस / प्रॉमिनेंस) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- प्रकटता, प्रख्याति, प्रमुखता, प्रसिद्धि, प्राधान्य, विशिष्टता, शोहरत, ख़्याति, मुख्यता, विशिष्ठता, ख़्याति, आगे निकला हुआ भाग, बहिर्गत भाग, उभार, ऊंचाई, उत्सेध, सौर ज्वाला
- late 16th century (denoting something that juts out): from obsolete French, from Latin prominentia‘jutting out’, from the verb prominere
Prominence in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- As cannabis is rising to prominence, investors are turning their eyes to industry opportunities that have the best long-term potential.
- New food guide set to challenge prominence of meat, dairy industries.
- Former defence minister George Fernandes first shot into national prominence when he defeated Congress stalwart S K Patil.
- Football Returns to National Prominence.
- Blockchain came to prominence in 2009 as the underlying technology of Bitcoin and subsequently the wider cryptocurrency landscape.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of prominence
- prominence — pro ban gaye miya
- (verb) (of a state or feeling) decrease in vigour or extent; become weaker; “confidence in the dollar waned”
- (verb) (of the moon) have a progressively smaller part of its visible surface illuminated, so that it appears to decrease in size; “the moon is waning”
- (Phrase) on the wane — becoming weaker or less extensive; “the epidemic was on the wane”
- (noun) the amount by which a plank or log is bevelled or falls short of a squared shape; “I cut the log into slabs without removing the outside wane”
Wane (वेन / वैन) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- उतरना, घटना, ढलना, कम होना, क्षीण होना, अधोगति, अवनति, कमी, क्षय, घटाव, पतन, ह्रास, चंद घटना
- Old English wanian ‘lessen’, of Germanic origin; related to Latin vanus ‘vain’.
Wane in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Manufacturing activity picks up but optimism continues to wane.
- US Report Says Anti-Americanism On the Wane in Greece.
- India’s craze for gold on the wane as yellow metal gets dearer.
- Atheism may be on the wane in Britain.
- Davos: Citigroup CEO admits London focus will wane after Brexit.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of wane
- wane === opposite of gain
- (noun) a person who is the first to do something; an innovator; “he was a trailblazer for many ideas that are now standard fare”
- (noun) a person who makes a new track through wild country; “a trailblazer in the automotive industry”
Trailblazer (ट्रेल्ब्लेज़र / ट्रैल्ब्लैज़र) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
Trailblazer in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- Gordon was a trailblazer, said Michelle Walker.
- Carmel Fisher recognised as an investment trailblazer.
- Ivy O’Conner embraces being a wrestling trailblazer at River Valley.
- At Miss Universe, woman from Spain proud to be transgender trailblazer.
- Are you inspirational, a builder or a trailblazer?
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of trailblazer
- imagine an innovator (trailblazer) wearing a blazer.
- (adj) (of a person) famous and respected within a particular sphere;
“one of the world’s most eminent statisticians”.
- (adj) (of a positive quality) present to a notable degree; “the book’s scholarship and eminent readability”
Eminent (एमिनेंट / एमीनेंट / एमिनेन्ट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- प्रख्यात, प्रतापी, प्रतिष्ठित, प्रवर, प्रसिद्ध, महत, मान्यवर, विशिष्ट, श्रेष्ठ, सुप्रसिद्ध, अग्रगण्य, उत्तुंग, प्रकांड, उच्च, उत्कृष्ट, ऊँचा, ऊंचा
- late Middle English: from Latin eminent- ‘jutting, projecting’, from the verb eminere.
Eminent in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- PM Modi doing best to advance common good in India, says eminent economist Prof Kotler.
- Eminent academician S Ramaswamy passes away at 86.
- The JQ Wingate Literary Prize is Britain’s pre-eminent Jewish literary prize.
- Death of an eminent English composer, 91.
- Eminent Polish musicologist dies.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of eminent
- think about Eminem who is always above others.