- (noun) a sudden powerful forward or upward movement, especially by a crowd or by a natural force such as the tide. “flooding caused by tidal surges”
- (noun) a sudden large increase, typically a temporary one. “the firm predicted a 20% surge in sales”
- (noun) a major deployment of military forces to reinforce those already in a particular area.
- (noun) a powerful rush of an emotion or feeling. “Sophie felt a surge of anger”
- (noun) a sudden marked increase in voltage or current in an electric circuit.
- (verb) (of a crowd or a natural force) move suddenly and powerfully forward or upward. “the journalists surged forward”
- (verb) increase suddenly and powerfully. “shares surged to a record high”
- (verb) of an emotion or feeling) affect someone powerfully and suddenly. “indignation surged up within her”
- (verb) (of an electric voltage or current) increase suddenly.
- (verb) (of a rope, chain, or windlass) slip back with a jerk.
Surge meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi meaning)
- तेज़ी से चढ़ना, लहर, आवेश, उमड़ना, तेज़ि से बढ़ना, बड़ी लहर, उमड़ पड़ना, आगे बढ़ना, प्रदर्शन बेहतर करना, प्रवाह के कारण आगे बढ़ना, उमड़ना, लहर उठना, हिलोरे मारना
- late 15th century (in the sense ‘fountain, stream’): the noun (in early use) from Old French sourgeon ; the verb partly from the Old French stem sourge-, based on Latin surgere ‘to rise’. Early senses of the verb included ‘rise and fall on the waves’ and ‘swell with great force’.
Surge in a sentence (word usage in recent Hindu newspaper)
- As prices surge, India hunts for onions abroad, With onion prices rising sharply, India has launched a global hunt for the kitchen staple directing its missions in Afghanistan, Iran, Turkey and …
- India gold demand to hit three-year low at 700 tonnes in 2019 …, … to hit three-year low at 700 tonnes in 2019 as prices surge to record high: … India’s gold demand is expected to fall to its lowest level in three …
- India opted out of RCEP to protect domestic industry from …, Goyal said that India took a tough stand during RCEP negotiations as … “In order to prevent surge of dumping by other countries, India devised …
- Sequoia unveils second batch of Surge startups, MUMBAI : Sequoia Capital India, the local arm of the storied Silicon Valley investor, on Tuesday unveiled its second cohort of startups from …
- India’s organic products exports surge by 50 per cent in 2018 …, According to estimates by Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority of India (APEDA), flax seeds, sesame, …
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of Surge
- S-sudden URGE to increase spectacularly..
How to Say or Pronounce Surge