- (adj) giving the impression that something harmful or evil is happening or will happen; “there was something sinister about that murmuring voice”
- (adj) evil or criminal; “there might be a more sinister motive behind the government’s actions”
Sinister (सिनिस्टर) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- अशुभ, कपटी, कुटील, डरावना, बायां, बुरा, बेईमान, भयावह, मनहूस, वाम
- late Middle English (in the sense ‘malicious, underhand’): from Old French sinistre or Latin sinister ‘left’.
Sinister in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Is a sinister plot afoot to murder Hemant Karkare once again?
- Not surprisingly, the BJP’s sinister attempt at intimidation against a Government which has not even been sworn in has drawn all-round flak.
- What unravels thereafter is a sinister network of human trafficking led by Fredrick (Prashant Narayanan).
- Even you declared me a sinister by telling people that we earlier ran a government when BJP was ruling at Centre.
- Red and his buddies find something sinister here.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of sinister
- Sinister mein chuppa hai “sin”
- (adj) (of a person) possessing physical strength and weight; rugged and powerful; “a short, sinewy man”
- (adj) (of meat) full of sinews; especially impossible to chew; “tough, sinewy meat.”
- (adj) vigorous or forceful, as language, style, etc;“a sinewy argument.”
Sinewy (सिन्यूई) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- बलवान, पुष्ट, सशक्त, कंडरायुक्त, ताकतवर
- 1350-1400; Middle English; see sinew, -y
Sinewy in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- The rods are wispy and elegant, but also sinewy, strong and resilient.
- The star plays Roxie, a sinewy burlesque dancer with dark lips and glamorous lingerie.
- For Mr. Blankenbuehler, a sinewy 46-year-old, the approach comes from his own craving to share in the story.
- The puppy fat has gone, he is now sinewy with a superbly toned body that can take on enormous amounts of workload without complaint.
- A group of chatty boys and girls pose for a photo near a table; another stands for a selfie with a replica of the sinewy stock market bull.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of sinewy
- sinewy = ‘sunny’ deol = muscular body
- (adj) causing repulsion or horror; grisly;“the most gruesome murder”
Gruesome meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- कुरूप, डरावना, भयंकर, भयानक, भीषण, वीभत्स
- late 16th century: from Scots grue ‘to feel horror, shudder’ (of Scandinavian origin) + -some1. Rare before the late 18th century, the word was popularized by Sir Walter Scott.
Gruesome in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Gruesome Images Soon To Adorn Cigarette Packs.
- City businessman survives gruesome E-way accident.
- Gruesome footage shows prison inmate wrapped in carpet, gagged and burned alive during jail riot.
- Kenya police accused of ‘gruesome violence’ in Nairobi.
- Police: Dad kills kids, wife in gruesome Hawaii triple murder.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of gruesome
- (adj) causing horror or disgust; “the town was shaken by a series of grisly crimes”
Grisly (ग्रिस्ली) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- क्रूर, डरावना, डरावनी, भयानक, विकट
- Old English grislic ‘terrifying’, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch griezelig.
Grisly in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Three men sentenced to death over grisly murder in Saudi Arabia.
- Grisly details emerge on student sexual assault in Dietrich.
- Two dead in grisly Nyamira accident.
- Grisly Killing of Family of 8 in Ohio Was ‘Preplanned Execution’.
- Pregnant woman dies in grisly Kandara accident.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of grisly
- grisly ~ grease muh pei gis gis ke grisly murder kar diya
- (noun) courage and resolve; strength of character; “I’ve known few men who could match Sam’s grit”
- (noun) small loose particles of stone or sand; “she had a bit of grit in her eye”
- (verb) to cause to grind or grate together; “fine red dust that gritted between the teeth”
- (verb) to make a scratchy or slightly grating sound, as of sand being walked on; grate.
Grit (ग्रिट) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- साहस, चरित्र बल, गिट्टी, धूल, बजरी, बालू, बजरी बिछाना
- Old English grēot ‘sand, gravel’, of Germanic origin; related to German Griess, also to groats.
Grit in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Do this one thing to help your kids develop ‘grit‘.
- The Uncapped Indians – a story of hard work, grit and determination.
- Their results found no evidence that grit is a good predictor of success.
- Raising a Child With Grit Can Mean Letting Her Quit.
- Does grit actually improve performance?
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of grit