‘A shot in the arm’ Idiom + 1 Idiom to your wordlist (by Vocab Meme)
A Shot In The Arm (Idiom)
The phrase “a shot in the arm” means “a stimulus”; originally this meant a stimulus from the injection of narcotic or medicinal drugs
- (Lit.) an injection of medicine. The doctor administered the antidote to the poison by a shot in the arm.
- (Fig.) a boost or act of encouragement. The pep talk was a real shot in the arm for all the guys. The good test grade was a shot in the arm for Gary.
- (Fig.) a drink of liquor. I could use a little shot in the arm. How about a little shot in the arm, bartender?
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
‘Shot in the arm’ recent usage in news (Shot in the arm in a sentence)
Popeye gets a shot in the arm as he eats spinach
- (adjective) wary; suspicious (usually followed by of ): I’m leery of his financial advice.
Leery (लिरी / लीरी) meaning in Hindi
Leery word usage in recent news (Leery in a sentence)
- Low-fat and air fryers make it so even those who remain leery of fat consumption can enjoy crispy, golden fried foods of any kind.
- Corruption, sclerotic approval processes and an uncertain policy environment because of measures such as retrospective taxation have made investors leery of putting in the money required to develop that base.
- It makes taxpayers leery that some of those executive directors are more interested in building empires than in solving problems.
- He was a bit leery of the investment required to start selling food.
- Welch said her gut tells her the recession caused a lot of teachers to be laid off and make students leery of a teaching profession
- He is leery about everything he eats out of his home.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of leery
- leery >when u are travelling in train and someone asks u to eat something then they say “leh ri” then u get suspicious at his offering.. – by avinav
How to pronounce leery
Funny cat: Orange Tabby gets leery of fart noises
Brisk Vocab Meme +1 Vocabulary Word to your Wordlist
- (adjective) quick and active; lively: brisk trading; a brisk walk.
- (adjective) sharp and stimulating: brisk weather; brisk wind.
- (adjective) (of liquors) effervescing vigorously: brisk cider.
- (adjective)abrupt; curt: I was surprised by her rather brisk tone.
- (verb) quicken something.(often followed by up ); brisk up your pace
Brisk (ब्रिस्क) meaning in Hindi
- तेज,फुर्तीला,स्फूर्तिदायक,तेज़ होना
Brisk word usage in recent news (Brisk in a sentence)
Mnemonic Trick to remember the meaning of Brisk
- b(risk): to take a risk, you should be active and quick –by graduatestudent
How to pronounce brisk
Brisk Walking Can Be as Beneficial as Running: Study
Mendicant Vocab Meme +1 Vocabulary Word to your Wordlist
Mendicant [men-di-kuh nt]
- (noun) a person who lives by begging; beggar.
- (adjective) begging; practicing begging; living on alms.
Mendicant (मेन्डकन्ट) meaning in Hindi
Mendicant word usage in recent news (Mendicant in a sentence)
Mnemonic Trick to remember the meaning of Mendicant
- Men+die+cant= men die because they can’t work so they beg to survive – by PAC001
How to pronounce Mendicant
Funny Thai Advertisement – Fake MENDICANT Vs Smart Girls
Arbiter Vocab Meme +1 Vocabulary Word to your Word list
- (noun) a person who settles a dispute or has ultimate authority in a matter.
Arbiter (आर्बिटर) meaning in Hindi
- न्यायकर्त्ता,पंच, विवाचक (m)
Arbiter word usage in recent news (Arbiter in a sentence)
- A cool Virat, of the kind who played arbiter in the ugly Jadeja-Raina verbal duel last year, has the potential of doing wonders to India’s fortunes.
- For the remaining five seats, Central Election Committee, led by Sonia Gandhi, will be the final arbiter.
- Rather than being a fair arbiter, the Centre took sides and antagonised many.
Mnemonic Trick to remember the meaning of Arbiter
- AR(arbitarty means random)+BEATER……a person who beats the hammer on the table randomly saying SILENCE SILENCE is an arbiter – by nileshdive
Sunny Deol defending his case in front of Arbiter