- (adj) odd or unnatural in shape, appearance, or character; fantastically ugly or absurd; bizarre; “a grotesque creature with a flattened body and a squashed head”
- (adj) incongruous or inappropriate to a shocking degree; “stories of grotesque mismanagement and wasting of money”
- (noun) a very ugly or comically distorted figure or image; “the rods are carved in the form of a series of gargoyle faces and grotesques”
- (noun) a style of decorative painting or sculpture consisting of the interweaving of human and animal forms with flowers and foliage.
Grotesque (ग्रोटेस्क) meaning in Hindi (English to Hindi Dictionary)
- असंगत, कुरूप, भद्दा, भ्रष्ट, विकृत, विचित्र, विलक्षण, विषम, हास्यप्रद
- mid 16th century (as noun): from French crotesque (the earliest form in English), from Italian grottesca, from opera or pittura grottesca ‘work or painting resembling that found in a grotto’; ‘grotto’ here probably denoted the rooms of ancient buildings in Rome which had been revealed by excavations, and which contained murals in the grotesque style.
Grotesque in a sentence (word usage in recent newspaper)
- Chennai’s killers share grotesque trait: Like to watch victims die.
- Harlan Ullman: Presidential race has become grotesque game show.
- Grotesque ISIS video shows the training of child soldiers.
- GROTESQUE images of gangrenous toes and clogged arteries are to be emblazoned across cigarette packets made for sale in UK shops.
- An economy that tackles the grotesque inequality that is holding people back.
Mnemonic trick to remember the meaning of grotesque
- imagine a tusk grow on your face… you will look grotesque 🙂